Ayurveda claims to be the oldest and most developed herbal system in the world. Each and every herb used in Ayurveda herbology has a multitude of benefits – for the mind, spirit, and body. Herbs can be used externally over the skin/aromatherapy or internally.
Surprisingly, our kitchen is a mini-clinic where Ayurvedic herbs play a vital role in creating magical ailments to prevent ailments ranging from physical pain to mental illness.
Being a follower of healthy living, home remedies play an important role in our family. Turmeric, cumin seeds, ginger, garlic, lemon, cardamom, cinnamon, asafoetida being few amongst them. Let’s walk through the highlights of a few important herbs mentioned above:
Turmeric: Most widely available, nutritionally loaded yellow colored spice. And commonly known as Curcuma longa L.
- Naturally anti-inflammatory compound
- Potential antioxidant
- Protects against brain disorders
- Prevents cancer
- Fights depression
- Lowers heart risk related disease
Also, read more about turmeric on Health Benefits of Turmeric & Curcumin blog
Cumin: This staple spice is known for its aroma and appears in while dried seeds form. Cumin is scientifically named as Cuminum cyminum.
- Promotes digestion.
- Rich source of the iron compound
- Controls diabetes and cholesterol
- Boosts immunity and protects against viral infections
- Cures asthma
- Has anti-inflammation property
Ginger: The root or underground stem of ginger is consumed fresh, powdered, dried as a spice or used as oil. It is scientifically known as Zingiber officinale.
- Relieves from cold and flu
- Treats morning sickness
- Effective against osteoarthritis
- Treats chronic digestion
- Anticancer agent
- Helps in reducing menstrual pain
Garlic: Garlic is an edible bulb from a plant in the lily family. It is scientifically known as Allium sativum.
- Treats high blood pressure
- Cures digestive tract disorders
- Effective against respiratory problems and lung disease
- Detoxifier and strongly acts against cancer.
- Protects heart
- Controls cholesterol level
Lemon: Lemon citrus, rich in vitamin C, battles many health issues. It is scientifically known as Citrus limon (L.)
- Prevents kidney stones
- Cures indigestion
- Soothes respiratory disorders
- Treats cholera and scurvy
- Prevents throat infections
- Reduces corn
- Protects from rheumatism
Cardamom: Queen of spices, is used as a flavoring agent and enhances physical strength. It is scientifically known as Elettaria cardamomum.
- Effective diuretic
- Food source of antioxidant
- Prevents blood pressure
- Anti-blood clot agent
Cinnamon: Cinnamon is an aromatic condiment obtained from the inner bark of flowers of Cinnamomum verum plant.
- Treats type 2 diabetes
- Enables lowering of bad cholesterol
- Treats Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases
- Possess Anti-carcinogenic properties
- Has antiseptic properties
- Fights inflammation
Carom seeds:It is oval and ridge-shaped, though small in size it is known for its physical wellness. It is scientifically named as Trachyspermum ammi.
- Controls kidney disorders
- Protects from itching, boils, and eczema
- Cures diarrhea and constipation issues
- Antiviral compound
- Improves menstrual cramps
- Treats asthma
Asafoetida: Asafoetida is known for its pungent smell and strong flavor it has been given the title “devils dung”, and this spice provides fiber, calcium, phosphorus, iron, niacin, carotene and riboflavin.
- Anti-aging benefits
- Anti-acidic benefits
- Anti-asthmatic benefits
- Increases metabolism
- Anti-viral properties
- Hair conditioner